In order for Social Evidence to search a public Instagram account (that is, an investigative target account for which you do not have the user’s credentials) and collect the public data, you will need to authenticate an Instagram account to Social Evidence; we use Instagram APIs (Application Programming Interface) to request and collect social media data from Instagram.
You can either use your own personal Instagram account or you can create a new Instagram account specific to this purpose. We recommend an Instagram account with minimum information and no connections, meaning no Posts, no followers, and not following any other Instagram accounts.
What you’ll need:
- An email address (e.g., email@example.com)
- Basic contact information (Name and email)
- Got to http://www.instagram.com
- Enter your name, Phone or Email, a “Username,” and a Password
- We do not recommend “Log in with Facebook.” This associates your Instagram account with Facebook.
- Click the “Sign up” button.
- Instagram will send a verification email to the email address you just used to create the account.
- Go to your email & verify your Instagram account.
- Click on the “Confirm your email address” button in the email from Instagram.
- Return to your Instagram account.
That’s all there is to it. Now you can affiliate this Instagram account with Social Evidence to start searching and collecting public Instagram social media data.